Looking Ahead to 2019

Just to recap

When 2018 began, I was concerned about how my Philadelphia Eagles would fare in the playoffs. That worked out well for me. I made an insane 1000-mile round trip and got to attend the first Super Bowl victory parade in Philadelphia, on my birthday, with a few million of my favorite people. I had no idea about disc golf. I lead a sheltered life.

Five months later, I was back in Pennsylvania again. This time, visiting my brother for his birthday. He had played a little disc golf and suggested we try a course near him in Bethlehem...South Mountain. I had a great time. Even shot a little live video for Facebook.

When I got back to North Carolina I was starting to feel the addiction creep into me. I had a couple of used discs that my brother gave me and one store-bought new, all dropped into a string backpack. This was not going to work.

Over the next few weeks, I ordered a couple of weekender bags for my son and I. Hit the local hot spots to check out some discs, including a great store with outstanding used bins so I could try different discs, mostly Innova to start out. (I still prefer Innova) I'm a bit of a regular there now. I also discovered Udisc during that time. My first recorded scorecard was on August 14th at Castle Hayne Park in Wilmington (a dreadful 16-over...for just 9 holes!)

I was throwing alone a lot, sometimes with my son, or my brother when he made the rare trip down to my neck of the woods. I met a few people here and there, before or after rounds. I graciously declined joining their groups for fear of embarrassing myself or getting in their way. It was almost 6 weeks before I got the courage to get out with some other players.

Doubles gave me an excellent opportunity to meet people, learn the game, and have the ability to take throws from better locations than I would on my own. I was a nervous at first, but it became a real confidence builder.

Mr. October?

After a thousand mile trek in February, a 400-mile road trip to Rock Hill, SC for the United States Disc Golf Championship seemed like a breeze. So on the first Friday in October, I got to take my son to see the best in the sport tested by Winthrop Gold. Seeing the pros up close and witnessing the hole setups was amazing. Some continuous photography produced some shots that I was proud of as well. I was particularly pleased with the capture and animated rebuild of Nate Sexton's roller from the pad on 11.

I participated in a few more club events, including a local tournament. I finished last. But I had only been playing just over two months before that, so, not horrible. By the end of the month I was visiting my daughter at ECU in Greenville, NC...it didn't hurt that there was a tournament to check out there too.

A November to remember

I didn't need an excuse to play a different disc golf course, but a new friend offered me just that sort of thing. The Downtown Urban Open in Cary, NC, a 2-day event setup as a temporary course around parking decks and pathways, a unique event in every way. The regular event fills up in minutes but the doubles tournament is a sign-up the day of, so off we went. And then this happened. Just your average 200-plus-foot shot from the the top of a parking deck. I'll be hanging my hat on that for a bit.

I started thinking ahead, more quickly than I anticipated. I joined the PDGA and got my membership card, a few goodies and my PDGA Number to use when participating events. I was just eager to get going into competition that I simply couldn't help myself.

Getting more social

I hit social media hard, starting with Instagram during the USDGC. I decided to put my teaching/coaching skills to work by sharing the lessons I was getting from players I met on the various courses and scouring the Internet for solid instructional videos, and making some of my own.

I won some more plastic in contests and received a few more as Christmas gifts. It's always good to get more plastic to throw. I believe I'll need it as I start the big year ahead.

What's up for 2019?

I'm getting ready for King's Cup 14 driven by Innova in Kinston, NC at the end of the month. My first sanctioned event. I've been nervous ever since I signed up. I have no patience and I'm ready to jump into the fray.

There was a plan in place to form Team Flippin' Discs at some point this calendar year for Doubles events. While information has leaked on some social media platforms, details are still being worked out with all of the players in the mix, so stay tuned for that.

From a personal standpoint, I'm just looking to find good form, get better and be competitive in the local and sanctioned events where I participate. The Ricky Wysocki/Innova video got me thinking about producing a video of my own story. Keep an eye out for that one too.

I love the game and I just wish that I had discovered it sooner (although my wife is just fine that I didn't.) It's time I stepped to do my part to #growthesport and help more people find the joy of Flippin' Discs.

Comments