Just a little random Dubs

It's still hard to believe that the first time I picked up a disc was about 5 months ago. Borrowed a couple and bought one. It would be another month or so before I got a few more used discs and went out to play again. I knew I wanted to play more after the first time out. Once I played again, I was hooked.

I really didn't know much about the game...there's still a long way to go. Every day I get more enthusiastic about throwing discs, and I would have to say that the most influential part of the experience, is the people I have met. Without all of them, I wouldn't be enjoying this game so much.

It's not like other sports

I'd been more of an organizational guy. Set times to show up for softball games in the city league. Sundays for adult league soccer, 11, 1, or 3. Early morning sign-ins for a triathlon or a tee time to meet a few people at the course. Shelling out bucks for gear, registration and greens fees, with no real practice time, yet every one of them with scores, standings and times.

I'm still getting used to this, "Let's go throw" thing. And I'm finally learning to practice again, like I did in during my high school and college days, thanks to the friends I have made on disc golf courses, mostly at dubs. Thankfully, I got the courage to finally get out there a play with some of those folks after about a month of fumbling with game by myself.

It's not a man purse, it's a disc golf bag...

I found some groups on Facebook in my local area, most notably for me, in Brunswick County (NC.) I followed the feed and decided it was time to go out and try doubles, get my feet wet and meet some people. The first time I showed up at Cougar Country (named for the local high school mascot, although my brother chuckles every time he hears it, including when he says it himself) I was extremely nervous.

I showed up about 45 minutes before the approximate start time. There were already a couple of guys practicing putting, throwing a few discs around, or standing around talking. I got out my car and grabbed my little Discraft weekender bag with nine, semi-random discs crammed into it. I had one putter, one mid-range and the rest were an assortment of fairway and distance drivers.

I spent most of my time introducing myself and assuring everyone there, that I was, indeed, there to play disc golf with the group. My nerves weren't improving, especially as I looked around. Backpacks with loads of discs. Rolling carts. Dear God, what had I gotten myself into? I've brought a pocket knife to a gun fight.

Billy Ho is here...or is that Lou Holtz?

I show up with my brand new, dinky little bag, and lost as to how to prepare. I'm no Billy Ho hustler, so I immediately starting doing my best Lou Holtz impersonation. Watch a video of one of his pregame press conferences from his days at Notre Dame sometime. He was the king of "poor-mouthing." I was all in with things like, "I've only been playing for a month," "I'm just trying to not embarrass myself," "any tips you can give me would be great," whatever it was going to take to keep expectations low. Always under sell and over perform...ideally.

Now, you may encounter tournaments which employ a BYOP (bring your own partner,) but locally, it's usually random dubs. Pairs can either be set by drawing cards set up by the organizer, where they select pairs, shuffle and each player draws. So red Aces are a team, black Aces are team, and so on. Well, no playing cards that day. So we set to flipping discs. (Now, you're gettin' it.)

It's like a heads/tails setup with a disc. All players flip. The group is split after that flip into heads (top of disc facing up) and tails (bottom of disc facing up.) Each group flips to isolate a pair, with the lowest count group flipping until only 2 match, until everyone has a partner. I know it sounds complicated, but it all happened pretty fast.

In the event of an odd number of players, one will be designated "Cali," and with play 2 shots each time as they will have no partner.

I learned a lot

That's what you say when you don't win, right? Sure. There's bragging rights here and a few bucks for the top teams. The great benefit is that you play the best shot...mostly your partner's, as you start out. But it doesn't become a chaotic melange of trotting from one bad shot to the next and carding a disappointing score. You're practicing shots that you wouldn't ordinarily get if you just had to play your own shot every time.

Besides, once we got going, I was put at ease by those in my group. Experienced players who offered advice throughout the round. Great advice, not the crap you get from your buddies on a round golf course. One member of my group was a seasoned veteran, a sponsored player, a pro, with 30 years or so playing the game.

After the round, I realized that I shouldn't have waited so long. I got recommendations on discs, which has really paid off for me. I threw some of their discs after I hit trees, or my disc dug into the dirt, or strayed into the woods. Some of those same discs...were in my car, not my stuffed bag. Live and learn, right?

So what are you waiting for? Go meet some people. Learn the game. Learn YOUR game. Get out there and throw some Flippin' Discs!




Comments