The right tool at the right time

The first time I played Disc Golf, I really had no idea what I was doing. I had the most basic understanding...very basic. My brother, son and I were headed across the parking lot toward the first tee pad as I feverishly tried to download an app for a scorecard, taunted by my fickle cell signal on South Mountain in Bethlehem, PA. It was crap. The signal, and the first app that finished in time for the round to begin.

The other four apps I selected finished downloading somewhere amidst the glorious wilderness as I tracked my way to an outstanding 27-over par. We went live on Facebook on hole 9, in an embarrassing display of amateurism. But we were having fun. And I became interested in the sport of disc golf.

About a month later, I was ready to jump in, and I decided to find a more complete app for my adventures. I had no idea how vital this would be for my game. I opened UDisc for the very first time and have enjoyed every moment since. So, this post is going to brag on my favorite, most usefulest app of all time. They have partnered with the PDGA, which will make it available to members for free in 2019 to keep track of unlimited rounds and scoring, as well as numerous other features. If you aren't a member (I wasn't at that time) pony up the 5 bones to buy the Pro version. You can thank me later.

Start with scoring. Open up the app when you arrive at your fave DGC and the app is ready for you..."Create Scorecard." It will search for your location to get you set to play. It can be tricky at some courses. There may be multiple cards depending on where you choose to play. And if you're at one of those places with alternate baskets ("holes 1,4,13,17 are in position A unless it is the 2nd Tuesday following a Thunderstorm before a full moon, then they will be in position B"...or some similar direction), it can be challenging to figure out which scorecard to use. Most are fairly straightforward. It's not an app issue, it's a people that play there issue, but I digress.

If you want to be the cool person in your group, you can encourage everyone to sign up and have their usernames added so you can keep the scorecard for your rounds. (Great to remind your friends about who has bragging rights.) You can also use it it to track your own progress, total rounds, rounds in the last 30 days, sort by date or courses, whatever you're looking to do, UDisc has it. It will even tell you the average score at each hole of a course while you play, as you begin to build rounds. It will also allow you to keep track of your stats like the pros, driving accuracy, parked, putting in C1 and C2 among others. I still need to work on this a bit more and use it during my rounds.

Many of these options are under the "More" section at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen...let's try another..."Discs." Keep track of your discs, what you own, even tap the slider to mark discs as "in bag" or not as you change what you're carrying. I sometimes like to reflect and mourn the lost discs, *sigh*, and then celebrate the new ones or change what's in my bag. (I really need to update that, I'm kinda behind with the holidays.) Enter in all of the info for each disc, name it, brand, take a picture (or just move the slider to color), flight ratings and notes...all in there.

That might seem like a lot a work, but it makes it so much easier to record your measured throws. Measured throws? Yep. Does that too. GPS location hones in as you select the start and end sets (be honest now,) and will build an average, allow you to share, and just record any throw you want to save to brag on later.

I'm kinda getting out of breath talking about all of the great features and I want to go out and play right now, but it's creeping toward midnight, and I'm crazy, but not quite that crazy. Have to sleep on it and go out tomorrow. Or I could check out even more links, like UDisc on Facebook, Instragram, link to the PDGA, or look at scoring for the latest pro tour events (UDisc Live.)

If you just want an easy scorecard app, or if you're like me, and you want more, UDisc is perfect investment in your game. I really could go on for hours, but it's better if you go try for yourself. Time to download and go flip some discs!

Comments