Play practice

In the early going I found time to sneak out quietly by myself to a few of the disc golf courses in the area. I was still a little skittish about playing with other people. In time, I found a guy that can go out and have fun, but still be looking at improving parts of his game and mine.

I am still not good at practicing, but I have found a way to get out there and practice, while I play, with a little game I like to call, "Be Like Mike." It's a little play on the competitiveness of Jordan, as well as the number 23. Participation trophies are crap and I rarely play where I don't keep score. It's my fatal flaw. But this game helps me get some extra work in, and track my progress. Here's how it basically works:

A game within a game

I play my first shot from each tee as I normally would. The approach can range from a conservative, "this is the disc that I can get into play," to "throwing this disc like I know I can will be the perfect shot." I haven't developed the groove of my "go to" disc, not even on any one particular hole on any of the courses I generally play. This is where the 2-3 comes in.

My second shot is usually, the same line or type of shot (i.e. a repeated RHBH or a flick) with a different disc. That disc might have a little more speed, a little more turn, usually, it's the same type of disc, whether it's overstable/understable, whatever.

The third tee shot is something different. If I went backhand on the first two, I might flick, throw an overhand shot, roller, or flex shot. I'm trying to build my game and see what works.

Mostly, I'm looking for better results off the tee. I always play out my first shot for score. Sometimes, it's the best play, but not always. The first shot is the only shot where I finish with a putt, (or 2 as the case may be,) and that's it. Putting practice is separate, and when I do that I am only focused on putting.

Once or twice during my usual nine at my local course, I will attempt a couple of approach shots, especially if there are 2 lines. For instance, hole 9 is over 300 feet long and direct line from tee to basket is a straight line of trees. I normally end up short and to the right of that line (clipping a branch or two along the way.) I will generally play a fade/floater lay up, but have also been tinkering with a skip flick around the break in the forest, coming around the other way. Let's go through the thought process on 3 holes I play regularly. At the end, I'll link to a video I shot at another course which will illustrate this practice ritual.

Hole 1: 155 feet "Ace Race"

Although it is listed at 155, it feels like it plays shorter. It's pretty straight forward, tree overhanging on the right for the grip lockers, and a tree to the right of the basket, about 5 feet away. Right distance to the left is ok, but to the right and you could be behind that tree with no way to go but around. It's also closely guarded by OB long. My first few times I was throwing fairway drivers, now I mostly take one step into a throw with a putter.

My current choice is an MVP Ion Eclipse (3,4,0,1, although I have seen some slightly different ratings) at 173g. I can put this under the basket with a good deal of consistency, mostly. My second selection, Latitude 64 Caltrop (2,2,0,2) 176g, in the Zero MegaSoft. Very rubbery and sticks to just about anything. With OB in back I got for the ace here. If I get close and miss, it sticks the landing...little bounce and almost no roll away. Third is my Disccraft Buzzz ESP (0.5 by their numbers, 5,4,-1,1 by the new ratings to follow Innova.) I try to put the Buzzz right on line and just about basket height and lace the ace.

Always a par here. I need to make it always a birdie and get my first ace.

Hole 5: 160 feet "Southpaw's Delight"

Standing on the tee pad you're hard pressed to find a direct flight through a mix of young and older trees to the small clearing in front of a straying swampy area where the basket is located. I'll have to do a video of this later because a description simply won't do it justice. It's a crapload of trees. I tried with my drone, but it was a bit hazy. It took a lefty to show me the other line...a clearing to the left, an opening easy enough to hit. Hit the right spot and your disc will drift right to the bottom of the clearing by the basket.

I put the MVP on a little anhyzer at the opening. Even if I don't get down to the basket, it's an easy lay up for par, or sometimes, a sweet, long putt for birdie. My second choice is a new XT Nova that I just purchased about a week ago. Same anhyzer line.

My third shot from here can vary. Sometimes I try an easy flick, the disc is always different and I've never found the right disc for this shot yet. Occasionally, I'll try the thumber or tomahawk through the trees. Never really gets in there. Seems like a nice way to beat in a disc anyhow.

Hole 7: 185 feet "Pseudo Triple Mando"

This hole curls to the right with 2 mando trees near the front that makes it necessary for a good amount of turn for a RHBH throw or fade on a forehand flick, with branches up top that will knock down a high throw, so it's a loose triple mando. The basket is also guarded by trees with a decent opening directly left of the basket.

I have more confidence with the flick. My first choice is a Discraft Reaper (8,3,0,4) but I'm getting a bit long with this one, so my second shot, and this will probably become my first shot soon, is an Innova Champion Teebird (7,5,0,2.)

My third shot is a RHBH Champion Leopard3 (7,5,-2,1) with a slight anhyzer release. Still a work in progress with limited success. I should get to the point where no matter what I throw, I should be able to park this one and birdie every time.

Wait?! There's video?

Just to further illustrate my approach, here's a video shot back in late October. This is from hole 18 at Northeast Creek Park in Jacksonville, NC. I threw 3 flicks, Discraft Reaper, R-Pro Thunderbird, and GStar Beast-X

I played the white tees, so it was 239 feet, and the straight shot is one that I just don't have right now. I ended up making bogey on the par 3, but I won't tell you which disc I started with and which one turned out to be the best shot. I will tell you that in this day and age, what idiot still gets a finger into the frame?...THIS GUY!

Always have a plan...

...and it never hurts to have a plan B. I'm the first born of a first born and only child, both teachers, and my Dad was a baseball coach, so it's very difficult to validate my progress without a scorecard. I'm trying to have more practice rounds, but it's too enticing to not have a final number to hang my hat on when things are working well...or doubt myself when they don't.

I plan to play in several tournaments in 2019. I lack the patience to wait until I improve some more, gain confidence, and find those 4 or 5 disc in my bag that I can go to for any shot. Some players might just throw a Buzzz on every one of the holes that I mentioned above and just be perfect. I'm not that guy...still need to throw some more Flippin' Discs.

Comments