Team Flippin Discs

I got really caught up during the holidays and swept up in the whirlwind of my excitement for this new sport that I have taken on. I continue to scour the Internet for tips, tricks, techniques that will help me advance my understanding of the game. But, I need to take a deep breath here and reflect for a moment about what has drawn me in...and how my enthusiasm can #growthesport, so that others may experience the joy of disc golf as well.

Hey, I just got here

Growing up in South Jersey, with parents that lived their entire lives in that same relative area, I developed a love for Philly's sports teams early on. My Eagles finally came through last year, the Phils have had Championships during my lifetime, it's been awhile for the Flyers and Sixers, but I still pull for my hometown teams.

While I respected the players, it was always about the team's successes (or disappointments) which would illicit my passionate rooting. I didn't cheer for Randall when he went to Minnesota. I wasn't too concerned when Sir Charles took his game to Phoenix. I didn't trade my red pinstripes for Dodger blue when Chase switched coasts. I appreciated what they did during their time with my favorite team. Which is why this disc golf thing has thrown me off a little bit.

Innova discs dominate my backpack. They were the first discs I tossed and have gotten the most comfortable throwing them in every possible way. I learned about their "Team," taking in Sexton's rollers and forehands, watching McBeth get hot so many times, especially with the putter, I was watching the best make it look easy.

I bought mostly used discs so I could find what worked best for me, and I finally, got around to procuring an XT Nova that I had wanted after a couple of months into playing...and then it happened. The NFL's coaching carousel ran amok and swept in some of disc golf's elite players. Paul went to Discraft and Ricky came back...among other moves in the sport. C'mon guys! I just got into this game!

This feels different...

And I can be ok with that...eventually. It does feel kind of weird having a quarter of my bag filled with Destroyers and Novas that have a guy's name on them who's with another team now. Not a bad kind of weird like wearing a Terrell Owens Cowboys jersey after he got traded and was catching passes from McNabb weird, but still a little weird.

I do have a used Zombee that I've learned to throw, and a Discraft Test Flight Reaper that I'd love to have a few more of (wink, wink. nudge, nudge,) but I'm not at liberty to build a whole new bag. Plus, I'm just getting to where I can throw my discs with some consistency. I do have a Philo Glow Destroyer that I stumbled across, but it's just too cool to throw (or lose) and I'm not sure I'm ready for a Sexton Firebird just yet, unless I add a forehand roller, maybe?...maybe not.

I got excited watching the pros meet the challenges of the course, master their discs and their form. I wanted to learn to be the best disc golfer that I could become, experience different courses, compete with other players, especially those that are better than I am. Maybe I should start my own team...Team Flippin Discs?

Not ready for Prime Time players?

It was a tad early to announce the formation of any sort of team, but with the proliferation of social media these days, it was bound to happen, leaking on Facebook shortly before the new year began. I had planned on playing a few tournaments myself this year, sporting some snazzy new shirts, with the logo on the front as well, around the local area.

My intended partner got the jump on things as his excitement for the upcoming year grew. Details are still are bit sketchy, with schedules to coordinate and a lack of financials to work out, but we'll be flippin' some discs in Eastern North Carolina throughout this year, rocking the logo in some fashion. It will be the best of both Pauls...I mean worlds, with James being a Discraft guy and me sporting the Innova infused bag.

It's not really a McBeth/Sexton pairing...maybe more like, Akroyd and Belushi? Keep an eye on this team because we're raring to go. We're not really ready for Prime Time, at least I'm not, but it's time to jump in anyway...and throw some Flippin' Discs!


Comments