Road Trip...Part II

While the 1100-mile trek from North Carolina to Pennsylvania and back again was more of a "pack up my brother's apartment in 2 days" than a disc golf road trip, we did sneak in some fun. My last post was about the area where we spent the most time. I'll add a special addendum to this post about that portion of the trip.

I can't move through this experience without mentioning another "disc golf guy," Jeff. He opened his store, DiscInsanity, in August of last year, right about the time that I began my obsession with the game. The shop in Allentown, PA has great options from all the big brands, as well as displays highlighting special edition Discraft, Special edition and Tour Series Innova, and amazing dyed discs. Look for more big things coming during this year from him as well.

Backup...hole 1

We anticipated some traffic delays along our route northward...and we had contingencies built it. Lots of disc golf just off I-95. We hit some heavy traffic near the Fredericksburg exit in Virginia. It was a good time to stop for eats anyway, plus there was a disc golf course nearby.

John Lee Pratt Park is host to an 18-basket disc golf course. We just browsed around the first four with the intent on scouting it out as a possible stop for our July trip back up north.

The first three holes set up pretty well for my forehand, with hole number one being a marvelous 368-foot downhill par-3. Not sure if the local rules require clearing the entrance road, but I turned over a Star Boss a bit and almost hit the car at the bottom of the hill, coming up just short.

Holes 2 and 3 are woodsy, but also lend for my flick shots. Hole 4 is a tight tunnel through the trees, but I feel like that experienced players might have a big RHBH hyzer line. This was a nice stop nonetheless, but quick, and we didn't grab much media here.

This was a simple scouting mission, and I was pretty much set on coming back as soon as I saw hole number one. We had to get some grub and back on the road so we'll do more in July. You've read the part that came directly after this...but later...

Down the Homestretch 

We took the back way out of Pennsylvania, in order to facilitate a couple of personal stops. The second of those was a disc golf course off of I-270 in Maryland, Seneca Creek State Park, home of a 27-hole disc golf course.

This is going to be more of a course review than an account of our round, and not just because my brother bested my 20-over by 2 strokes. My game is much improved lately, especially the putting. I'd love to go back sometime, but it's not exactly a day trip for me so it might be awhile.

Anyway, this course is hosted inside Seneca Creek State Park in Gaithersburg, Maryland. We went in March, however, I believe there is a $5 fee per person for out of state and $3 for residents from April until October to enter the park. But it's well worth the price of admission.

Once you work your way to the back of the park, you'll find the board to get your direction...and make some choices. There are three 9-hole layouts that each begin and end near the parking lot, giving you plenty of options for play as well as avoiding congestion on the course. There were a few locals out and they were very friendly and helpful to us as well as we decided what to do. Disc golfers are great!

The most amazing part of this course are 3 to 4 teepads throughout, for a variety of skill levels, including novice tee locations noted by yellow markers, usually somewhat up the fairway from the regular pads. My brother and decided to play the white, opting for more challenge than the red, but not enough skill for the blue. We played 1 through 18. Turned out there were more blue/white combo locations than we had expected. My bad.

We were into elevation changes from the jump, downhill, blind shot over the slight crest of a hill and finally downhill with treacherous trees all over the place. Another important note, as we're on hole 3, check each map at the hole. It wasn't until much later that we realized the cup hooks on each hole had beads alerting use to basket position. You can see the white hooks with the red bead, noting basket in position A. Good advice right there.

There's a great mix of tight fairways, low clearance, optional lines, and turns to challenge any level disc golfer. But it is a state park, so beware that there are hikers that may come across your round, which we encountered during my approach on hole 13...which brings me to my shining moment.

I've been trying to develop a turnover shot for a few months, with limited success. On this day, we played white to position B (I know, the picture shows a D position as well. After this we figured out what those were.) The board said 456-feet and that seems a bit longer than what was possible, although my tee shot was brilliant. I successfully turned over my DX Beast, beautifully, on a slight hyzer, flipping up and continuing a gentle turn, perfectly on the fairway. More astonishing, I made a nice upshot from there and putted out for 3.

I proceeded to throw a squirrel killer on the subsequent hole into the creek. Then I hacked my way along, as usual, to a spot behind a tree. The basket's there and you can see that and a few more pics of our outing on my Facebook page. Disc golf does have those ups and downs.

We had a great time and I hope to go back sometime. It's a perfect place anyone playing disc golf, welcoming, challenging and beautiful.

Shootout Ahead

I've been spending a lot of time with my putter lately, mostly Innova Colts in some different plastics. My putting needed improvement and I made some strides thanks to the founders and group members of Precision Disc Golf and their 30-day challenge.

I had ulterior motives as well. With the Sexton Shootout coming to one of our local courses, I knew that I would only be certain about one disc that I would be using...my putter. In lieu of agonizing over Destoyer, Thunderbird or Valkyrie, I opted to get as much out of my putter as possible. If I have to drive with it, so be it. I even went putter only at my local 9-hole course to work on my game.

Looks like I'll go Destroyer for driver, Roc3 for mid, and I'll have my trusty Star Colt to round out my 3 discs. I'm going to be missing my Firebird and Saint, but I'm determined to play smart and focus on one shot at time.

The next week or so will be very busy for me. Come back and check on me later...to see if I've survived throwing all these Flippin Discs!

Comments