Many new chapters

Last week was a whirlwind of activity, so I wasn't able to collect my thoughts as I tried to cram them all together. Sexton Shootout. Leland Disc Golf Club Match Play begins. Copperhead IV. All from Sunday to Saturday. Quite frankly, each stands on it's own. So, we're going to take it from the most recent event, and work backwards, or out of order anyway. Treat it like a Marvel movie.

Last things first

This past weekend I participated in my third PDGA-sanctioned tournament this year. Well, actually, third ever. Same-same. The Cumberland County Copperhead IV was held at Mazarick Park in Fayetteville, North Carolina, which is host to two disc golf courses, the Pines and Lakes Course. It was a C-tier, so 2 rounds, one day.

The Glenville Pines course is "moderately hilly and moderately wooded," according to dgcoursereview.com, while the Glenville Lakes course is "moderately hilly and heavily wooded." The Pines (par 54) seems to be regarded as the easier of the pair. There are mandos, challenging OBs and trees along both courses, but the Pines leaves an opportunity for recovery shots. Missing fairways is more penalizing, with heavy cabbage, trees and forced drives, that can make a bad round a very long round on the Lakes (Par 55, this format.)

I'm not experienced enough as a disc golfer to take on a course blind. I snuck up to the course a few days before for an 11-over practice round at the Pines, and only had enough time to walk the back nine at the Lakes. Disappointed at the score, I gathered some information so I could game plan a bit. I also lost a disc, but that came back later.

Round One - The Pines

My card for the first round were familiar faces. I have played a number of rounds with James and Hubert, in my local clubs. I'm not used to starting a tournament on number 14, typically I'm closer to the end. There were a few lines I was looking to hit, with the overall goal of staying close to par. I only had a few holes where I had on outside chance at a birdie run, namely holes 6 and 8, maybe 2 or 14 with the right shot from the teepad.

I began with 4 straight pars, getting 3 just inside C2 and picking up the greens in regulation stat plus 3 tap-ins. The drive on 18 was acceptable, missing my line left and leaving a tricky approach around trees, which was unsuccessful, leading to a double-bogey 5. Two more pars and a bogey on number 3 as I missed left with a lower drive with too much hyzer.

I turned over my Latitude 64 Maul on 4 and missed my recovery shot to the left. Putting practice came into play as I saved par with about a 40-footer through some trees and a little downhill. Another bogey on 5 and we were heading to the island hole with my score at 4-over after 10 holes, which was fairly solid based on my previous tournament experience.

Hole number 6 is a 270-foot downhill hole to an (artificial) island green. It's the closest thing I'm going to get to playing 17 at Winthrop Gold, with a more approachable basket centered on the green. I had missed 3 of 4 practice shots here earlier in the week. I used the disc I felt most comfortable with in practice, my Discraft Zombee holding straight most the flight and hyzering out at the end, leaving me a 31-foot putt from the left side. It was my only birdie of the round, but very memorable.

The rest of my round was pedestrian, with two more pars before hole 9 ate me up for a double-bogey, which I was concerned about. A couple more pars, bogey on 12 with a poor tee shot and then finishing with a nice approach and par put on 13. I finished near the middle of the pack in 11th place with a 6-over 60 and an 829 round rating...with the tougher course to come.

Round Two - The Lakes

I was determined to stay as clean as could in the second round, play one shot at a time, whatever the score was at the end...I wasn't going to worry about that. I was equally excited at my card this time.

I was going to get to play with two more individuals that I hoped I would get the opportunity. Kevin was someone that I reached out to through the Precision Disc Golf Facebook group during the 30-day putting challenge, when I noticed he played those courses and would be in this event.

My other card mate was one who I have grown very familiar with. THE Fly Guy himself, Hannable. Although the spelling is different, this Hannable ate me alive in my previous 2 tournaments. He was 6 behind me at King's Cup in January and finished 2 ahead of me after 4 rounds were complete. At the Azalea AM in March, he was 5 behind and finished 8 better. It had proved to be a nice side bet for a few of his sponsored players to see if I could hold on. At the Copperhead, I was just one shot ahead and I was starting on 14 again.

A short drive, decent recovery and a nice putt near the edge of C1, helped me hold my ground. Another recovery shot kept me even on 15, with a temporary basket set deep, making it a par 4 as I tapped in. I missed my line a bit on 16 but got some distance, attempting the right side hyzer line, but I was still a shade over 50-feet away. The putting practice paid off again, as I lofted in a birdie from 52-feet.

I managed par on 17 and knew I would struggle a bit with 18 (tight tree shot, downhill) where I made bogey. HP had a tough time there, well, we all did really. As I made par on 1 and Hannable missed left off the tee, I knew he wasn't feeling right. He said as much as we were finishing the hole as Kevin made a nice birdie putt inside C1.

I nearly parked my drive on number 2 and made another birdie, but not before Kevin showed off his precision putting with a birdie from somewhere over 50-feet.

At this point, I'm one under, and I'm having some trouble containing my excitement. I pull out my Innova Mystere (added to the bag this week after some practice) and lace a nice, straight drive that skips onto the hill past the walking path at 3. I leave too much distance after the approach and miss the putt from C1's edge for par and take bogey.

Short drive, good approach and tap-in par on 4. Kevin, I believe played pretty much the same from different locations. Meanwhile, Hannable, relaxed as ever, recovers for par by ripping a forehand from the right side cabbage from at least 150-feet, banging chains...hard. Amazing to watch.

I hacked my way through 5, then played decent, smart shots for pars on 6, 7, and 8. I'm at 3-over coming to hole 9. I sneak a Destroyer through a gap in the trees on a forehand flex line to the edge of C1 on the hill behind the basket. Then...3-putt, hitting basket, roll-away, sail over before finally hitting chains. Terrible.

Bouncing back, I throw my Zombee again, on an anny line and make the 30-footer for birdie. Hannable encouraged me to run it, although it was downhill slightly and I was concerned about sailing over again. Always listen to the seasoned player. I think he was enjoying watching me do well for a change, appreciating my excitement.

I ended my round with pars on 11 and 13, sandwiching the bogey on 12, which has a difficult distance and shot shape for my comfort level. A special shout out to whoever found my Latitude 64 Saint on 12 at the Pines during round one, which I lost during practice. It was returned to me by another player prior to the second round and it was vital for my tee shots on those two final pars.

Recap

Finally...I finished higher than Hannable, Actually, I tied for second best round (58) in the Rec Division and finished ahead of quite a few people to tie for 4th place out of 22 and make a payout for my first time. That 916 rated round was pretty sweet too. Never thought I'd be hearing, "Bagger," and "Move up," not quite a year into playing disc golf, in jest of course, but certainly a sign of respect too from all the people I have played with in Brunswick County, NC.

Our "local" card did well. James took 2nd place, I was 4th, and Hubert finished in 9th place. Team Fly Guy (including James) had a good showing as well, but I'll let you hear that from their appreciative sponsor (linked down below.)

I'm pretty analytical and studious, even when it comes to playing games. I love numbers and translating those into what they mean, setting about the course for improvement. The extra putting practice I put in during April really paid off, and we'll talk some more numbers a few more posts down the line.

I believe that THE Fly Guy at Fly Guy Disc Golf does an amazing job looking at the big picture for the many events he supports, and this one is excellent as usual. Hannable also does a great job showcasing the personal aspects, the people, the disc golf community, as well as his personal experience. I love when we get to "cross streams" in our posts.

Moving right along...

That leaves the Sexton Shootout to talk about next week. The Match Play is going to be happening for awhile. We still have numbers to talk about, specifically my stats from Udisc, focusing on my putting improvement.

I also have at least one new piece of plastic to test out. The Discmania Evolution Instinct came out May 2nd and I have to throw this some to see if I am going to work it into the bag. Might be a review soon. Stay tuned...lots more Flippin Discs to come!



Comments