Everyone loves a Shootout

So, now we work back to the beginning of the hectic week that culminated with my stellar showing in the Copperhead IV. The week began with the Sexton Shootout, hosted at one of my local courses near Wilmington, North Carolina.

Castle Hayne (or Castle Payne, as it is affectionately referred) is a challenging wooded course that generally eats discs all day long, on hole 8 to be sure, with some other trouble spots as well. It can be a par 63 or 64 based on some basket locations. For this particular event, it was par 63 with the adjustment being made to move the tee area up on the normally par-5 8th, making it a par 4. It also took out the frustration of a difficult drive around a corner to the left and potentially losing a disc, because the single shootout round is played with only 3 discs.

The Format

The Sexton Shootout is a one round singles tournament with a simple twist, you play the entire round with just 3 discs. Players get to bring their own trusty putter, then select one driver and one midrange to complete their basic set. Drivers available for this event were Destroyer, Thurderbird and Valkyrie. The midranges were Roc3 and Mako3.

As a benefit to players, courses may be altered to prevent losing discs. At the Castle, number 8 played shorter with the teebox advanced to a generous spot around the initial corner to remove some danger of the disc-eating creek, making this a par-4 rather than the traditional par-5.

It's a somewhat casual event. Cards are set by the players, so I was able to play with a group of familiar faces. Deron, Daniel, and Tim are all great guys, who I have played several rounds with in local monthlies, tournaments and casual rounds.

Following the round, there is a clinic with THE Nate Sexton, my favorite player. I latched onto him early into learning game. His forehand is smooth, a shot I have tried to emulate since it was the throw I was most comfortable with hailing back to my baseball experience. I got to watch him once live at the USDGC back in October of last year and I thought that was a thrill, but I was in for a surprise...

Ready to Play

I agonized for weeks over what discs to choose. I throw a lot of Star Firebird and Saint Gold on this course, and those weren't going to be options for me. My flat top Firebirds are great for flicks, skip shots, flex shots, getting around corners or out of trouble and it's become a go to for me. My Saint is starting to get beat in a bit. It's my straight driver which I can also flip up and get a nice, gentle fade. On hole 2, it's the disc that earned me my first birdie, consistently getting me inside circle 1. I have gotten close on hole 16 my last few rounds as well.

This course is a little long for me, so I do grab a Destroyer for a RHFH on much of the back 9 (11, 13, 14, 17, 18) and occasionally a tomahawk to get through the trees on number 4. Ultimately, I opted for a Star Destroyer and Champion Roc3.

Nate ran the event like a TD, with great local support from our local club. Shout out to the New Hanover Disc Golf Club leaders who made this possible. The extra surprise was as Nate was covering the guidelines for the round, he also announced that he was going to try and play one hole with every group. I was immediately excited and nervous at the same time.

Finally, we were ready to start. My group had chosen to begin on hole 3, and I was wondering when Nate would get to us. Hopefully not to start...or hole 6...or 8...oh well, whenever he got to us, it would be great no matter when it was.

Full Send

My best round on this course is a 73, but I'm mostly around 80. My hot tournament round was a 77 back in March. I normally start further back, hole 16 to 18, but today, we're going to hole 3.

This one has been a little tricky for me. I've faded and skipped left, gone straight or turned over right...both into the forest. I've hit early trees to the right with a grip lock or two. I haven't hit the trees 30-feet off the pad...to the left...until today. Hacked my way to a 5. Nice start. At least number 4 is a par-4, so a 5 didn't hurt quite as much there. We were taking second and third (and fourth) shots as Nate came up on our group. He talked to us as we finished up.

Let me just get this out of the way now. I got to play (one hole) with Nate Sexton. I was so excited that the hole is pretty much a blur. He made it look easy, a tree kick to the left like so many of us have, then a recovery shot to tap in for par. Meanwhile, back into reality...I was retreating into the only disc that I knew, inside and out, my trusty Star Colt.

I threw putter off the tee from 5 through 7, just to stay in play. Still managed bogeys on 5 and 6, but not the usual struggle as these holes can eat me up. I actually had one of my best drives on 7, driving through the twin trees at the top of the hill and finally getting a par after a nice approach. I'm already 5-over at this point, five holes in.

I pulled out my Destroyer for the first time on 8. I knew I wanted to go with a forehand flex shot to give myself a chance on the next shot. Despite a shortened hole, with a generous temporary teepad, I launched it flat and at least went over the creek OB, so I didn't lose the disc. And, I took a double. Back to a Colt on 9, which I cut short...another bogey.

The front nine usually is my weakness here. I was even more concerned that I was 8-over after just 7 holes. The back nine didn't disappoint as I was taming the Star Destroyer quickly, earning me 4 straight pars. I followed with a decent drive on 14, but missed the par bid at the edge of C1 and settled for my first bogey in a bit.

Hole 15 was still a par 4, with basket in the short location. I use a variety of discs here, including a flat top Firebird. Still working that Destroyer on consecutive forehands (second one a flex)  and finishing strong for a birdie 3, my only birdie of the round.

Hole 16 is a tight, tree-lined/dotted fairway where I typically throw Saint, getting at the edge of C1 my last few rounds. One of my card mates, Tim, convinced me that I could find the forehand flex line. Destroyer in hand, I was able to make it work to C2 and get out with another par. I'm comfortable flicking Destroyer on 17 and 18, but I don't always get into a great position and leave myself difficult approaches. Today was no different and I carded a couple of bogeys taking me to 10-over. I was a bit nervous heading to front nine again to finish up.

I got a decent drive off the tee and had a decent approach, sticking the putt for a par, which I was very happy with. Onto to number 2, where I usually pull out the Saint again, but my choice was the Destroyer (too much) and Roc3 (not enough) to get me to the 262-foot par 3 with guardian trees in front of the basket and OB creek right. It's a tight-ish shoot with ability to miss left safely, but it requires both direction and distance control. Tim gave caddy advice once again, saying, "just overthrow a Roc." Sure. I'll just do that.

I doubted I would reach, but it finish left and would be safe. I've been playing less than a year and I've never "overthrown" anything to this point. If I want more distance, I'm reaching for a distance driver. I just don't have that option today. So, I take his note and try to rip the heck out of the thing. Surprisingly, I get a great pull, keep it straight long enough before it starts to fade. I'm 20 feet short of where I usually throw Saint, and I have a death putt from about 40-45. I make a half-hearted attempt which I almost get, but I'll take my par.

The 73 tied my best ever on this course and my best in a competitive round, which I accomplished with just 3 discs, finishing 8th in the beginner's division (out of the 30 who signed up.) Overall, the round was very satisfying. Another card mate, Deron, shot lights out, finishing 2nd with his 2-over 65.

Mr. Sexton's Class

I didn't get the benefit of placing or a CTP. But, I've a couple new pieces of premium plastic, a few autographs (one of my son and my Sexton Glow Firebird inked for me) and the best part is coming, a clinic with Nate Sexton.

I'm not going to get into any details here. You should experience this event first-hand. Nate is just a regular guy, very personable, friendly and positive with great knowledge to share. He also answered a bunch of questions from the group. He wound up the day with an example of proper technique by throwing to 18's basket. Hole 18 is a 388-foot dogleg right...ordinarily. It's a shade over 450-feet, finishing sharp left from the first base line of the ball field nearby. Nate launched a few from the line for us, right at the basket. No sweat.

I seriously recommend you sign up for one of these if they're anywhere close to your area. Ifyou missed one this year, keeping watching. Nate's a class act, amazing disc golfer, nice guy. When all was said and done, it was a very rewarding day for Flippin Discs.

Comments