Completing the Tournament Circle

You do you

If the King's Cup XV in Kinston had been held at a basket inside Circle 1, I probably would have missed it...and maybe the comeback too. But it was good to get back to the place that my competitive disc golf rounds began a year ago. I wanted to have a positive increase from my previous performance, some validation, some redemption, and perhaps come out with a win. (Too soon?...too soon.)

Despite being encouraged by those who had played with me before, I stayed in MA3. (HP is right. It sounds so much better than Rec.) My PDGA rating allows it, at a generous 844, that meanders from the lowly 768 (KC 14 rd. 3) to the head-scratching 944 (DUO rd. 2) with some semblance of order in the middle of the 17 rounds from 2019. I had every opportunity to play smart, solid, par-driven golf through these four rounds. Like Ron White, "I had the right...but I didn't have the ability.

I love to break down stats. While numbers can be manipulated in just about any way you like, at the end of the day, it can at least give some insight on strengths and weakness in whatever you are choosing to measure. Rather than give a round-by-round or shot-by-shot account of my second King's Cup, I am going to dive into the numbers.

The roundup Sandwich

In a previous life, I had to break myself of a bad habit called "The Sandwich Approach." The method refers to delivering information where you give negative feedback, "sandwiched" between positive remarks. While it may be beneficial with relationship breaks, it leaves something to be desired when delivering an effective message to direct reports...but it works just dandy for a blog about your disc golf exploits, especially if you are trying to be encouraging and still find those areas for improvement.

My goal this year was redemption, moving up from last year's 8th of 10 finish with a total score of 269 and 42-over for the four rounds. The weather was better this time and I have improved my game quite a bit in the year between, and it paid off, somewhat. I finished in 5th this year out of 13 competitors in MA3 with a total of 246 and 19-over. A better place and shaving 23 shots isn't bad at all. Now for the meat...

Putting was terrible. Last year, I 3-putted twice inside Circle 1, which I "technically" only did once this year. But when you factor in that I should have more experience with my game at this point, I include the Circle 2 putts as well, where I didn't give myself a tap-in or easy finish, and ultimately took 3 putts to score from C1/C2 a total of 6 times. One of those was a fluke where I hit the band on number 4 and rolled back down the hill so I had C2 putts consecutively on that particular occasion. Outlier. While I was noticeably up from 44% percent, I have to do better than 69% in Circle 1 to increasing scoring.

And another slice...of bread...My driving was much improved over last year. Overall, I averaged 70% for driving accuracy (53% previously) and was my best in round 3 with 83% by either being in the fairway or Circle 2 at least. Granted, I received some fortunate kicks from trees and threw a couple of drives into the ground, but landing on the fairway, is landing on the fairway. I also made some nice recovery shots (which is a topic that we will address at a later time at some length.)

I certainly could have played some boring golf and "chipped" up the tough holes and managed pars and not the larger numbers that I took. Mentally I battled between the safe approach and the quality shots that I knew I could hit. I also also fought the urge to lay up those borderline length putts that ultimately cost me at least one spot, if not more.

There were some highlights

I was in 3rd after the first round and dropped to 5th after the second, the place where I would finish. The first day, I was the only player in MA3 to birdie hole 16 from both the short and long pads. Never mind that I missed my line from the short pad and only through Divine intervention missed a very large tree and managed to get my Emac Truth close enough to make the putt.

Of the 72 holes played, I had 15 birdies, the most in MA3, seven in round 3 alone. Round by round I was 2nd, T2nd, T1st, and 1st in birdies. However, I also only had 30 pars and I could say that the difference between 5th and 4th was the three additional double-bogeys I took over the tournament. I finally managed to birdie hole 18, by finally hitting my line (on the 8th attempt,) with the correct disc no less.

Hole 13 can be a straight shot, tree- and brush-lined nightmare, but I was able to birdie all 3 times from the shorts...last year I bogeyed twice and made par once. I also hit Circle 1 on the 270-foot par 3 10th hole, which almost always has some sort of headwind, to make birdie. Excluding miscalculating that wind in round 4 and turning over into OB, I played that hole mostly to plan. My Lucid Felon was perfect in making a couple of birds on 11 as well.

I can't say enough about my cardmates

I had the pleasure of playing with Eric and Hannable (Fly Guy Disc Golf) once again. Like most of us, they get frustrated from time to time, but no matter the circumstances or what part of the round we have been in, I feel comfortable with them as if we were playing a casual round on any other day. They are very encouraging and respectful to other players, know the rules, and I can count on them to keep it light. Hannable does a much better job at giving an overview of an event, the people, the settings, and his unique perspective, which I have appreciated since I first met him at the King's Cup last year.

Trey and Darin are local guys from Wilmington. I see them at club monthlies or in my store just about every week or so. I played with Trey for 2 rounds and got to see him throw his first tournament ace, and got one round with Darin. Another local player I had the pleasure of sharing a card with was Zack. The kid can huk a disc. More importantly, he's spot on with the putter. He stayed, tauntingly, just ahead of me the whole time. He's certainly a young player to watch.

Matt, Alex and David are out of the area guys that kept the conversations fun during backups and kept my competitive juices flowing during rounds by making putts and hitting shots. If I can get my game together a bit, I wouldn't mind seeing them again down the road.

I can't say enough about this last guy, Cam, who won MA3 by finishing strong with a 1-under 55 and overtaking the previous division leader, winning by two for his first PDGA-sanctioned victory. He hasn't been playing long but he got hooked on the game like I did. Even learned to play left-handed after he injured his right hand late in 2018. I've seen him throw better shots with his off (left) hand than I can sometimes pull off with my right. I'd love to play with him at another event down the line. Again, after my game improves a bit.

Takeaways

"The mark of great sportsmen is not how good they are at their best, but how good they are their worst." - Martina Navratilova

It's one of my favorite sports quotes of all-time. Anyone can play well when conditions are good, you feel healthy, you execute, you're in rhythm. But what happens when things don't go right, when you are faced with challenges? What happens when your form goes south? Miss a few putts? It starts to rain?

You prepare as best you can. You assess the situation, your abilities at the moment. You execute...or you don't.

I had really good shots in this event. I had some strong recovery shots. I made a few putts. But when I was at my worst, I was not good. I struggled to find a way to get back on track. There's lots more preparation in my future.

I have to find a good pre-round routine to get me ready to play. Field work is a must-do. I'm zoned in on my bag right now, I just have to learn everything about the discs I am throwing. Putting? Always room for growth.

What's the plan, Stan?  

My next planned tournament isn't until the end of March. So for the next several weeks we'll catch up on some of last year's events that I haven't written about and we'll talk about the mental game. I'm also looking forward to some new discs this year. I plan on doing some reviews of the Latitude 64 Sapphire, Discmania Tactic (Razor Claw) might be in there, Dynamic Discs Sergeant is one that I am really anticipating and perhaps Innova's Warthog.

My YouTube channel needs some more content. I still have a putter challenge video to produce and again, planning disc reviews. I'm also going to go back and re-shoot a video I did on understable discs that are great for beginners, and I can show the difference in how those discs fly now that I have made some adjustments and improve my game.

It's gotten late for me here so I have to wrap up. What time is it? Time to throw some Flippin' Discs. 


Comments