I got lost in the woods...

It's been crazy the last few weeks.

I started a new job, one that let's me talk about disc golf all the time. Well, most of the time. I work with great people and get to touch lots of plastic. If you ever get around Wilmington, NC come check us out at Cape Fear Games and we'll help you find some more discs. I think my wife enjoys it more than I do because I don't have to get my disc golf talk on so much at home. Plus, if it's raining, or cold or you don't go outside when it's over 80 degrees, I can hook you up with some people that can find other great games to play too. I'm learning those slowly.

The last PDGA ratings update moved me up 25 points to get to 823 and into the 800 club. My 4th place Rec finish at the Cumberland County Copperhead in Fayetteville, NC was the driving force in that bump up. I was starting to feel a little disheartened at the opening 789 and gentle move up nine points following my first two tournament outings. I had to tell myself that I was just learning the game, my discs, the courses, and learning how to handle my game during competitive events. I feel that I'm on my way.

I've been practicing with my putters a bunch since Precision Disc Golf laid down the gauntlet with their 30-day putting challenge in April. I was able to improve substantially, as well as spot deficiencies with various styles and situations (straddle stance, uphill, downhill, balance, etc.) That led to putter only rounds and putting challenges where I got very comfortable with my Innova Star Colt. So comfortable in fact, that it earned me my first two aces. Even more amazingly, both were caught (at least in part) by my brother. You can them out on my YouTube channel.

There's still the matter of a putter only round challenge that hasn't happened yet. My challenger sustained a minor injury and we felt it best for him to be at 100% for our match. So that's still coming...probably sometime in August.

Meanwhile, I was getting ready for a semi-disc golf road trip. The main event was my bro's 40th B-day extravaganza in Allentown, Pennsylvania, with a dugout suite and lots of friends and family. We were treated to a great experience, including a 6-run bottom of the ninth comeback and walk-off home run by our favorite Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.

But we managed to sneak in one course in Virginia on the way up and 4 more courses in the area that Udisc placed as #6 in the country. Lots of pictures and course reviews are coming for that as well. There are some previews from social media posts which can be accessed more easily via my website, www.flippindiscsgolf.com. We also did a minor tuneup the weekend before with two courses in the Raleigh, NC area, so all in all, it was 126 holes in 7 days.

I had a great time with my brother and my son, plus we introduced one of my cousins to the game on the first course that I played nearly a year ago for my first round. It's also the location for my second career ace. The three of us that had played there last year were greatly encouraged by improvements on our scores (16 for me, 9 for my brother and 8 for my son) on our Disc Golf-iversary...not sure that's a word, but I'm making it work.

Currently, my focus is on preparing for the USDGC Doubles Qualifier at Castle Hayne Disc Golf course with my brother. It's his first tournament action so we're practicing as much as possible without over thinking the whole thing. We just want to have fun...and not finish last.

Plus, I have company coming to visit and she's looking forward to "trying the disc golf thing." I'm working on a bag with about 5-6 discs for her. If you have any suggestions, hit me up on Facebook or drop me an email at flippindiscsgolf@gmail.com.

So, there's lots to come until my next solo tournament at the end of September, possibly. I'll talk about our great trip, review some wonderful courses and recap the qualifier over the next 6 weeks or so. I also plan to get a few more videos on YouTube to share information, maybe even do some disc reviews. Every experience has been positive and I plan on moving it forward as I throw those Flippin Discs!


Comments