Game, Set, Match (Play)

About a month ago, our fearless leader in our local DG club began with brackets for a Match Play tournament. Interest seemed to be very high, and the 18 players who signed up appeared to make it a worthwhile adventure. There were a few bumps in the road early on, but overall, it's been a great experience, especially to those who weren't familiar with the format.

I'll share my adventures here and give a recap of my final match. Honestly, I hung in longer than I expected. It was also a nice departure from doubles and stroke play.

Match Play Format

Most people are familiar with traditional stroke play. Every shot taken counts as a stroke toward your score. Penalty strokes may be assessed for leaving the designated play area or various infractions. You collect strokes (some more than others) and generally the competition is the rest of the field of players participating. Every stroke counts, so taking a 5 on a par-3 when other players are making birdie is a 3 shot swing in their favor.

During match play, two players compete directly against one another on each hole. They start at "all square," and proceed to play the course from hole 1. Players attempt to earn the best score on individual holes by completing in fewer strokes. If the players earn the same score, the hole is halved and neither gets a point, the slate is wiped clean at the subsequent hole and play begins again. A player achieving a better score than their opponent, earns a point, or going 1 up...and so and on.

The format is nice because you can finish behind another player by 6 strokes, but only lose by 2 holes. It also encourages players to be a little more aggressive, especially during the back nine when you're trying to finish off your opponent, or get back into the match. Similar to chess, the match ends when one opponent has advanced ahead where there aren't enough holes to catch up (checkmate of sorts,) or the match may continue beyond 18, in a sudden death format in the case of being all square after a round. You can see numbers such as 4 and 3, meaning that a player was up by 4 holes with 3 left to play, therefore, ending the match.

This is not to be confused with Skins, where halved holes carry over, providing a large windfall to the player who can capitalize with a big shot. This exact scenario occurred in our local event and one of the early matches had to be replayed. You'll see more as I get into my final match, with a prolonged agony since we also went with a double elimination setup.

Pairings

So, 18 people signed up for the event and the TD had elected for a random draw instead of seeding according to bag tag numbers. That was fine with me, except that made 2 "play-in" matches, which is where I ended up. I also drew my brother in the first one. I stumbled to a 3 and 2 win.

Josh made his first match count and after some scheduling issues, we finally met at the end of week 2. I played better this time around, dispensing of my opponent, 5 and 4.

Jeremy was up next. I knew I was in trouble when he threw in about a 70-footer for bird on 3 to square the match up. We were all square at the turn after a few barbs traded, but his birdies on 10 and 11 put me 2 down again. We traded off again on 13 and 14, before I lost the ability to make shots, on both 15 and 16. I dropped the match, 4 and 2. Down to the loser's bracket for what turned out to be my final match.

The Last Draw

Garret was next up for me. I knew his skills, distance, accuracy and finishing in the chains, even from some length. I missed my first chance when he went OB long off the tee and I missed my putt at the edge of C1. We were both surprised by the wind turning over our shots and not allowing either to get stable of the second hole. Lengthy looks turned into pars.

Garrett got me on 3 with a long drive and 40+ foot comeback for birdie to go 1 up. I almost pulled off a great tee shot on 4, but got up and down to make par and stay one back. I managed to get a perfect tee shot on the tricky 5th hole and made a short birdie putt to square things up. A quick return as I bogeyed number 6.

I was pleased with my play at 7, with a solid birdie, but Garrett returned the favor by matching me. We also stayed pat with pars at 8 and 9, so he was still 1 up at the turn. I got some things going with a birdie on 10, which my counterpart equaled. But my birdie on 11 got us back to all square.

Garret came up short on 12 and my par was good enough to get me 1 up. I gave it back on 13 with a bogey. Then he made the perfect shot on 14 for an easy birdie while I made par. With 4 holes left to play, he is 1 up.

I had a nice drive on 15, but flared a bit far left. I should have made a nice layup to tap in for par...but I tried to give it a run and ended up going long. Garrett was in the 45-50 foot range and I just felt he was due to bang chains. I should have been able to make my comeback putt, but hit the top of the cage to drop a shot, and 2 down with 3 to play.

I was pretty close to parked on 16, but Garrett was right there again. Matching birdies left me 2 down with 2 to play. He left the door open with a low, short drive on 17. I pressed a little, calling his low, short drive, and raising him by catching turf a bit shorter. At this point I have to give it a run. Low ceiling, guardian trees, to a basket on a downward slope...and I just didn't make it. In fact, I finished with a bogey to his par.

Eliminated, 3 and 1. A good battle nonetheless.

Take Aways

Match Play is a format that I could get used to. It's not all that different from the standpoint that my game plan usually includes going after certain holes and playing safe on others. Your hand can be forced though if your opponent plays a much better shot, or you make a bad play. That made it more difficult on me during the last 3 holes.

I still shouldn't have run 15. I missed birdie putts on 1 and 14, but I was still in the match. A simple par on 15 leaves me 1 down with 3 to play. I can then play for par on 17 and go for broke on 18 to push to extra holes. You can see what this course looks like from my putter only round about a month ago at this course. You'll see what I'm talking about that tricky hole 5.

The putting was mostly solid, with some sketchy results during my third match. I really have to get out for some field work soon to tighten up my drives though. I'm working with some new discs anyway and a continuing to work on a backhand flex shot, once I find the right plastic to do that.

Coming soon, a putter only challenge at a different course...another Pennsylvania (disc golf) road trip...and USDGC Doubles Qualifier with my bro. Go Team Flippin Discs!

Comments