There's always a reason

I have enjoyed getting involved in disc golf. The people, the challenges, learning new skills, new shots, new plastic, all of the things that make the game fun. I love that. I'm not good at hanging out, sitting around the yard and chatting with friends. I like doing stuff...doing stuff like throwing some flippin discs with good people.

But I'm still not good at just having "fun," per se. I'm always working on something. Maybe I'm trying a new shot to build confidence for the next time I find myself in a situation. Maybe I'm trying to groove an approach with a disc that I've almost got completely figured out. I enjoy the company, but I do look forward to the organized competitions too.

Not just a caddy

Last month, I caddied for a friend, not because I'm not good enough to play, but it was an opportunity to watch, learn, listen, and see how other players approach the game, and the course that I am about to play this weekend. I am sure there were lots of jokes and I had some fun at my own expense.

I've been playing for a short time and I didn't feel it was necessary to get into that event. I was focused on this one, the Azalea AM. It's 20 minutes from home on a course that I can practice more often. It just made sense. It was a lot of fun to walk that course with the groups that played in th ECO at stop 2 though, and my buddy, James, won the rec division. I'm still waiting on my cut.

The takeaways from that experience helped me to look at my game, my shot selection and what is in my bag. I saw a player throw a tomahawk instead of a thumber, where the line almost certainly called for the latter to get out of trouble. I watched players try to finesse shots that were tougher than a straight upshot (which I am still not good at.) I witnesses the good and bad and made all sorts of mental notes.

New Plastic

I have consistently carried extra discs in the backseat of my car. Switching this one for that one, perhaps not taking enough time to learn them enough, rushing the process, not breaking them in very well. I mostly buy used and occasionally look for one that's not so "gently" used.

After playing caddy, I recognized some opportunity to get some new plastic to enhance my game with shots that I was already comfortable making...I was just using discs that weren't working for me then. Call them my Final Four because I'm going to be relying on them heavily, at the recommendation of a player I have come to know this year.
  1. Xcaliber (12, 5, 0, 4) - A very overstable disc that works beautifully for flex forehands with nice distance for me. I can also use for lengthy tomahawks and sometimes a thumber. I used Destroyers previously, but I'm really impressed by how this disc fights back to fade even if I miss my angle a bit (provide the trees are sparse) and I can control it better than Destroyers right now.
  2. Firebird (9, 3, 0, 4) - As a novice, I normally prefer discs with more glide to give me distance. But I have 2 flat top Firebirds and they are controllably overstable. Forehand, backhand, skip shots, thumbers, it's just a great all around disc in the bag. If I'm just off the fairway left and I have to get down the hole, I can throw a steep anhyzer and it fights back hard and settles soft right where I need it (most of the time.)
  3. Rat (4, 2, 0, 3) - I don't feel like I have to back off and finesse shots when I throw this one. Upshots, soft fades and high soft flicks out of trouble, it's a great utility discs for those in-between shots when you don't want to throw putter, but you might lose your Roc and overshoot the landing zone.
  4. AxiarX3 (3, 2, 0, 3) - I use this similar to a Rat, but for shorter touch shots close to the basket. It's the one putter I have been able to flick confidently. Honestly, I also end up having to putt around more trees than I would prefer, so this one comes in handy for that as well.
None of these discs, were in my bag a month ago, and now I couldn't live without them. I don't know that I would recommend the XCal for many beginners, unless your forehand is your go to and you have shown some power here.

I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of my shots were with these 4 discs. But that's what you want. Fewer types of discs, multiples with varying stability for different situations. We'll get there. I still have 23 discs in the bag...again, it's a process.

Comfortable shoes

Learning new discs is great, but really discovering the ins and outs of one disc is even better. I bought a used Latitude 64 Saint Gold (9, 7, -1, 2) early into playing the game. It was the first disc I was able to throw straight (ish) and the glide helps me not have to work so hard for a little distance. Recently, I have been able to release on a slight hyzer, get it to flip up flat and softly fade on some holes that normally gave me lots of trouble at "Castle Payne." As it stands now, this will be my choice off the tee for 6-7 of the 18 we'll play during the four rounds of the tournament.

End Game

I played a few practice rounds this week and got in some field work. My partner today, James, has walked with me quite a bit on the disc golf course. Right off the bat, he urged me, "trust the disc." He reminded me a few more times during the round.

I'm not sure that it's always the disc that the problem, but he's right. I know what the disc wants to do and the proper line to put it on. Then it's all Believe and Execute. I don't have to beat everyone that has ever played disc golf, just those that show up, in my division. Well, at least finish stronger than a couple of people...for now.

I'm still too wound up to sleep. I'll just have to play 18 mentally, at least the tee shots, maybe make some putts. It doesn't matter whether your thinking about it or doing it, there's always a reason to go throw some flippin discs.

Comments