Those who can't do (yet) caddy...ECO stop 2

I had a buddy get me into Triathlons a few years back. In 2005, I entered my first, the Emerald Isle Triathlon. Now it wasn't anything crazy like Ironman distance or anything. I think it was something like a little under a half-mile ocean swim, a 12-13 mile bike and finished with the 5k run. They call that "sprint" distance. Um, yeah...sprint.

Long story short, I really thought the swim was going to kill me, but I made it. Then I got a leg cramp about halfway through the bike portion, but I made it. By the time the I trotted across the finish line, it had seemed an eternity since I lost my breakfast (twice) on the dunes between the surf and the staging area for my road bike. Not to "Ron White" you here, but I told you that story, so I could tell you this story.

The Usual Suspects

I've been to one PDGA sanctioned event, but I've met some people whose company I enjoy. As players were swarming the check in, I found James and Geoffrey on the sidewalk just outside the covered area full of players. Victoria was getting ready for her round. Kirk passed by at one point and soon after, Hannable appeared, full of wit and wisdom and a friendly, but competitive spirit. I saw snippets of Caleb before play started as well and gave him a brief nod, not quite sure he saw me, but hey, I'm the new guy.

This was a local event for me, so I saw other familiar faces too, players I encountered during monthlys and such. But I wasn't here to play. As the white duct tape stretched across the top of my back indicated with scrawled green letters forming "CADDY," I had one job here today.

Soaking it in

I was reveling in the camaraderie and the anticipation of the first round, appreciating the players who were about to take part, and my surroundings. I wonder if this is How George Plimpton felt? And this is why I'm a caddy today, more writer than disc golfer.

Despite the urging of my liege and his competitor, I only halfheartedly considered entering. I don't understand why people would pay to play an event and not show, or why some show up hoping to get into an event on the day of, but again, I'm new.

I was also well aware of my abilities on "Castle Payne," carding a 35-over during the last monthly a couple of weeks ago in my pair of rounds. A tragedy witnessed in it's entirety by Caleb, where I lost my favorite Discraft Reaper Test Flight on hole 10 by going so far right (and staying for several shots, I might add) that my group couldn't see me and I'm surprised they remembered I was still playing with them. No, today was watch learn...caddy...and collect fodder for my weekly ramblings.

On your mark...

Life in the lower echelons of disc golf competitions (i.e. Recreational Division) means that you get to walk a mile or so to start your round, or in this case, hole 17. The initial setup was to have 5 players to a card, but a few minutes from beginning the round we were just at 4, Caleb, David, Geoffrey and James. The fifth turned out to be an Intermediate player that showed up after the cards were set and missed the first tee, and therefore, the hole. He would start play on the 18th, but apparently, after 18, he must have decided that he had enough "Payne" for one day and didn't play the 2nd round.

There's no need for play-by-play, the event's over and I'm sort of a big picture kind of guy. Despite being a somewhat lazy caddy (James had a Zuca Cart,) I did the obligatory cleaning and returning discs to the cart slots and occasionally encouraged James to throw what he was comfortable going with...mostly. I did actually do some other good caddy stuff too.

I watched James grind to a 70 to lead the card and the division. I watched Caleb struggle with a course that can suck the life out of your game, repeatedly, as he carded an 87 that dropped him to the chase card for the next round. Now, I had seen both of them play before. I was most interested in seeing how the other 2 players (forget the Intermediate guy) and how they handled the course.

Same Disc (Golf), Different Play(ers)

I'm not saying that disc golf is more creative and challenging than ball golf, but until Tiger has to play a quarter of his rounds left-handed and they litter a golf fairway with bunkers and old growth trees, I'll take disc golf.

David is a RHBH thrower exclusively. He's slow and steady, methodical, with a friendly demeanor during play. A familiar motion with different angles and discs, his approach was more straight-forward. I like watching experienced players because their delivery, their release, is smooth and almost effortless...then they throw 70 feet further than my best, perfect throws would be. He carded an 86, however. and dropped to the chase card with Caleb. I enjoyed getting to know him a bit during his time with the group.

Geoffrey likes to go to a forehand for those technical shots that Castle Hayne demands on so many holes. I had played a practice round with he and James the previous day and got some excellent tips that I am using to improve my game. It just amazed me how a flick could just glide a precise line for 250-feet, weaving through the trees with the snap of the wrist. I, meanwhile, must look like a small, awkward bird, trying to untangle itself from getting caught in fishing line.

While the two have different styles, the fundamentals are consistent. Given my comfort level with forehands, I got more from watching Geoffrey's approach and delivery. Again, I play alongside James, so I'm familiar with his game, and he's sort of in between the other two as far as his style.

James is a BH thrower like David, but more like Geoffrey, he looks for different lines and manipulates his release angle to work a disc in ways that are not always the most apparent. He's also a crazy lefty who loves to throw big hyzers and skip shots to get around corners at every chance, with the rare big anhyzer like the one that got him a birdie on old number 2 (hole A or the 19th hole for this event)...at the recommendation of his 700-rated caddy, I might add.

All of them played to their strengths throughout the round, with James and Geoffrey being a little more comfortable and staying on the lead card. And after an expedited lunch...

Another round for everybody...

Except that Intermediate player dude...he left. James and Geoffrey again, with Jared and Trey moving into the 2nd and 4th spots, respectively in the order. So at this point James is at the top, Jared is 3 behind, Geoffrey is 6 back and Trey is 12 down to James. Trey and I might be walking the same card sometime in the future.

Starting at 17 again, the competition started to heat up. By the time 6 or 7 holes had gone by the gap was tightening at the top. When the card reached hole 13, Geoffrey put himself in solid position off the pad with this shot. James went long with his first. (He had been "fullsending" this one deep for 2 days now, almost having to putt from hole 11's fairway.) He saved par before launching this beauty on 14, which was edited so we had no need for the advice of viewer discretion.

The 3-putt on 15 from James was less impressive. But when the dust settled, there they were again 1-2, only the order was the reverse from King's Cup 14 in Kinston a month earlier. James got his first PDGA win and saw his rating rise based on previous events as well. Still waiting on my 10% cut there too, Mr. Kuchar.

Taking the Caddy tape off

It was better for me watch and learn at the ECO Stop 2 in the Wilmington area today.  Plus, I kept my breakfast down. I'm not sure it made my task any easier in preparing for the Azalea Am in a month at this same course though. My putting is getting better and I'm learning to get some consistency with my upshots, which to this point have been little more than blind luck.

I did realize a flaw in my approach and pull while studying the players on the cards for both rounds today. There may be an opportunity to gain some power and control the flight of my discs better with some field work.

And for being a poor, poor (very poor) man's Jomez Pro, I did get some good video and pics today when I had the chance. It certainly is easier when you're not having to worry about making the 30-foot comeback to salvage bogey. I'm glad I didn't get talked into (or talk myself into) playing this event. It gives me time to analyze and prepare myself for the next time out.

So when the air horn calls out the start time at Castle Hayne in a month, it'll be my turn to see what I can do...with my Flippin Discs!

Comments