Playing the field

I saw a post the other day, which I shared to my page, and it got me thinking about my approach to the game and what I am doing to make myself better. If you just like to go out and enjoy the company, fling a few discs while you hang out, that's cool. I like that too...I'm just not very good at it.

I have fun when I am competitive, when I'm good at the activity, when I can surprise a few people. I've had my moments these past 3 months playing the game by being good (lucky, whatever. Tom-ay-to, Tom-ah-to.) Participation trophies aren't my thing. I want to be great, and I lack patience. Overall, that's not a bad thing. You just have to figure out how you're going to make the most of your preparation. So, we'll take the portion noted on the board regarding "Distance Practice," or what I like to call, "Field Research."

(Football) Field Research

A little while back I posted an amusing little video about practicing your technique and my preference for football fields. Open field throws are a great way to learn your discs, see how they fly, try new shot shapes, and give you other valuable information about your game.

This is about removing variables again, so you can zero-in on your distance. No trees, no water, few distractions and a surface that is measured to gauge your performance. I throw from one goal line and line up directly along the hash-marks so that I have a target to follow and a break down of every yard that I throw. Three months in, I rarely throw beyond the opposing end zone (although I have done it on a few occasions,) I'm looking to dial in my consistency with target and distance from 200-250 feet.

Sometimes I try to throw directly down the hash-marks, trying to hold the straight line as much as possible. As a beginner, that doesn't always go so well. Other times, I set my eyes on a target and look for the line that will lead me to finish at my landing point on the hashes (finishing straight from my starting point, usually accounting for a little, or a lot of fade.)

The number of discs you have to throw may be limited in the beginning. Work a progression...putters, mid-range, fairway and distance drivers (if you have those.) I got hooked quick, so the discs I took to, I searched for more, or something similar. I have 3 Innova Boss discs with various plastics. I also have 2 Terns and a Daedalus, which are similar enough to throw together developing some consistency. I have 3 Roc discs as well. I don't have the resources to have 5-6 of each, plus, I'm learning which discs I like and feel comfortable throwing, but I like to have at least 3 of the same type to throw to get into a groove.

Setting goals

My early goal is to dial in my throws from between 200-230 feet to within 15 feet of my target, (i.e. putts I can make with great consistency.) This covers holes with short tee shots and approahces where I have chance of reaching the basket yet. I shot this video about a month ago where I set up a folding chair at 210 feet with 4 throws. I was filmed at release and from the target. It wasn't all that pretty. You get to watching YouTube with all these experienced players and pros...they make it look easy. I... well...I did not. But that's Ok. I'm learning and I wanted to show that, especially since I was playing with experienced disc golfers and it was overwhelming at the beginning.

When I practice in an open field setting, I start with 20 throws (10x2 sets) with 8 putters and 2 mid-range Rocs. Then I take 8-10 throws and repeat the cycle 4 to 6 times. I keep similar discs together, so I might throw the Boss, Tern, Daedalus and my 2 Shrykes.

If you don't have multiples of the same disc or enough that are close in flight patterns, work a progression up or down, but be aware of the path the disc is supposed to take (remember flight numbers) and compensate accordingly.

Field practice is about throwing a same disc, the same way, every time you throw it. My first times out, I would throw a Boss 200 feet out and 60 feet left, then launch the next one 260 and land dead straight ahead, then, somehow, turn it over and it rolls, ending up around 240, but way right. I've been minimizing that range and "spray pattern," slowly, but surely.

Take the time to do some field work...and throw some Flippin' Discs!

Comments