I came, I saw...

I played in my first tournament today. Just a little, local outing with 15 players at the municipal park under the "whatever the weather conditions happen to be for this 2 hour stretch" kind of pattern we get so often in Southeastern North Carolina.

I came...I saw...yeah, that was about it. While there was no chance of crossing streams (since we all know that "it would be bad") there was some potential for crossing fairways and this Newbie, had a few O.B. crossings as well....So, I didn't kick anyone's, well, you know. I managed to finish dead last. However, I rebounded with 3 shots better on the last nine and birdied the last two, with a shot at CTP on number 3. Here's my scorecard from the two nines.

I played with a great bunch of very experienced players. I tried to learn as much as could watching them run at putts, which was a terrible part of my game today, but they were encouraging all along the way as I faltered.

That's the great thing about disc golf, and the great departure from "ball golf." I have been playing in doubles, bag tag groups, and this latest tourney for the past month. (Reminder: I've only been playing since mid-August, minus the time from Hurricane Florence, as well.) You can learn a great deal from watching other players. And as a group, they are much more helpful than the group that swing the sticks. Plus, you're playing, so you can try to implement right away.

When I was at the USDGC I talked to a number of spectators in the gallery during my attendance in the 3rd round. One gentleman said something very interesting that stuck with me. He said, "only one in about 40 or 50 that you'll play with are jerks." I see what he was talking about now...and I haven't met any "jerks" yet during about the same sample size he referred to. In fact, I've gotten more followers, FB friends, and solid tips in the last few months than I EVER, got on a golf course. Disc golfers are more knowledgeable about the game, more willing to share, and can tell you, or show you how to correct it.

So, after getting some discs (just a few, you don't have to go crazy like I did) and throwing a little, whether in an open field or on a basic course, find some groups to get into. You can drop back while playing on a course to fall in with some other players, or playing as a single, you may catch a group and ask to join them.

Find a group on Facebook, or the disc golf course reviews sites online. Get your courage up and go to a group's doubles outing. The benefit of playing with a partner is that you get to take a decent shot every time, whether you make one yourself or not. It was in those first couple of times out that I was able to learn a great deal. Often, after everyone threw their shots, one of the other player's would say, "hey, throw this disc like you threw that last one." I got pointers on disc selection, target lines, putting, you name it.

It didn't hurt that I "poor mouth" better than Lou Holtz before a big game...and show up like Billy Ho with my 9 discs jammed into a Discraft Weekend bag. You know, Billy Hoyle? "White Men Can't Jump?"...Never mind.

Anyway, that ship has sailed and I got my first "real bag." It's a backpack by AGame, which I have now crammed with 25 discs so I can find what works best during the courses that I am playing the most, to accommodate wind conditions and some basic shot shaping. Um, VERY basic.

Disc golf is a sport. It's about fun. It's about learning and improving. Most importantly, it's about people and sharing. As an added bonus, I'm not buying a dozen balls every week to replace what I lost on the course.

I've decided to share as much as I can on my journey. To that effect, I've started posting videos on YouTube. My first video relates to getting started, matching up with one of my early posts. This next one is a little more entertaining and just shares a couple of quick tips when I got advice from experienced players on the course.

There's so much to talk about, but I have to get some rest because I'm going out again tomorrow. Gotta get out early too so I can work on my putting. You should get out there. Go out and flip some discs!




Comments